Biosecurity and Customs Responsibilities
Spotted something unusual?
If it’s ALIVE:
– Contain it, if it’s safe to do so
– Inform others around you and your manager immediately
– Call the MPI hotline 0800 809 966 or MPI port office on 927 5700 immediately
If it’s DEAD:
– Bag it, inspect for any live organisms
– Call MPI port office on 927 5700 for instruction in how to proceed.
Biosecurity is EVERYONE’S responsibility. We need to be vigilant and proactive.
In order to meet the security obligations of an import and export port, Port of Tauranga is required by the New Zealand Customs Service to be licensed as a Customs Controlled Area (CCA). All cargo within the CCA is expressly under the control of NZ Customs, and cannot exit the CCA without the appropriate NZ Customs Authority. All export cargo must also have the appropriate NZ Customs Authority [CEDO – Customs Export delivery Order] before it is loaded. Customs Officers also have the authority to stop and question any person within the CCA about identity, purpose for being within the CCA and goods/cargo within their possession.
It is an offence under the Customs and Excise Act 1996 to remove any object from the CCA without the appropriate authority of NZ Customs, and to fail to answer lawful questions. Failure to comply with the obligations may result in an individual and/or company being prosecuted under the Act.